Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Bicentennial event

Today is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, the man who invented the system of writing for the blind when he was just a teenager. That's the inspiration for today's photo shoot.

I found my camera tripod this evening and decided to try some different lighting, exposure, and composition with my copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Actually, this is one of four parts the same size that make up a copy of that book in print. The metal guide in front is a slate used to hold the heavy paper, and the yellow awl is what is used to punch the braille into the paper. It's done from right to left, backwards, because the dots are punched from the back side to make them readable on the front.








And, yes, I forgot to write down the settings because I was having too much fun. I did discover that I could do a decent macro shot with my little Olympus point and shoot. Maybe I could find out some more fun stuff if I would bother to read the manual!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! I like the last one, shows the braille off nicely.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures :)

A tip, though: The camera stores your settings "in" the image file, something called "exif" data. On Flickr you can see them, if you find the line towards the bottom on the right hand side of the image page where it says "Taken with a Canon EOS 350D Digital." (substitute camera name, obviously) and click "More properties". You can see the exif data in most image viewing programmes, too.

I always forget to write down settings, so I find this very helpful ;)

Anonymous said...

These photos are beautiful! And the cover of the book is way nicer then the one I have. Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing your Project 365 with us!

Chreamps said...

Wonderful photos and so interesting - TFS!